Grantley Adams International Airport is Barbados’ only airport and the main hub for flights into the Eastern Caribbean. Situated around a half-hour drive from Bridgetown, the airport has two terminals and provides non-stop daily flights to regional destinations and major cities such as London, New York and many European cities.
More than 2m passengers pass through the airport each year and aircraft movements total about 30,000. The airport is able to handle large, widebody jets including the Boeing 747, and also handles a substantial amount of cargo traffic.
Full car hire facilities are available at Grantley Adams. At the time of writing (August 2017), I was able to obtain online quotes from the following companies:
- Drive A Matic Car Rentals
- Courtesy Rent A Car
- Stoutes Car Rental
A full range of models was offered, including convertibles, SUVs, economy models, plus larger compact and premium cars. Minivans carrying up to eight passengers were also available.
Driving in Barbados (from Barbados.org)
If you haven’t driven in Barbados before, here are a few tips to help make your hire safe and trouble free:
- Drive on the LEFT side of the road
- You will need your driving licence to be issued with a local driving permit
- Seatbelts are compulsory for the driver and all passengers.
- Speed limits are in kilometres per hour. 100km/h is 62mph.
- Flashing lights usually means a driver is giving way. A honk of the horn is usually a friendly ‘thanks’.
- Roundabouts — as in the UK, always give way to the right.