Ondangwa Airport is located in towards the north of Namibia, in the Oshana region of the country and close to the border with Angola. The airport is located on route B1, just outside Ondangwa town.
The airport was upgraded with a new terminal building in 2015. This has helped to provide improved facilities for the growing number of visitors to the area. Ondangwa is popular destination thanks to its proximity to the Etosha National Park, which is home to celebrated species including lions, black rhino and giraffes, plus a wide range of exotic birds.
Visitors travelling to Namibia to visit Etosha are likely to fly into Hosea Kutako International Airport before transferring to Windhoek-Eros Airport for a flight to Ondangwa. You will then transfer to road transport for the final two-hour drive into the national park.
If you’re travelling independently, then the good news is that a full range of car rental services is available at Ondangwa Airport. At the time of writing (August 2017), I was able to obtain quotes from the following car rental firms at Ondangwa Airport:
- Bidvest Car Rental
A full range of cars was offers, including SUVs, pickups, compact and premium cars and mininvans/people carriers.
Driving tips for Namibia (from the official Namibia Tourism website):
- Drive on the left
- All passengers must wear seatbelts
- Carry your driving licence at all times. If your driving licence is not printed in English, then it is advisable to obtain an International Driving Permit.
- Many roads are gravel. Supplies of fuel and water tend to be further apart than in Europe or the USA. Keep your fuel tank topped up and carry water for drinking in case of delays or breakdowns.
- Make sure you have an up to date and detailed map before setting off on long journeys. Signage may be minimal or non-existent in rural areas.
- Avoid travelling at night, when the risk of hitting wildlife is much greater
For information about car hire at other airports in Namibia, click here.